Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A day in Mexico

I've had this open hole in one of my teeth for about 7 years. I had a cavity, the dentist drilled it, filled it with that hideous metallic looking filling and then probably 3 months after he filled it, it fell out of my mouth while I was eating really bad chicken at a sizzler that my track team had stopped to eat at back in 1999. At the time the filling came out, I didn't have dental insurance and I still don't. I have since called dentists trying to get an estimate and they said it'd be something in the range of $300-1800 depending on if I needed a root canal or not....I said “hell no I will just keep this gaping hole in my face"
I have heard stories about people going to Mexico to get their teeth fixed but honestly I was always a little skeptical because I figured, “if you pay a lot for a medical procedure, it simply must be superior." I have had so many people tell me about how wonderful the Mexican dentists are that I couldn't ignore their praise any longer.
I decided to go down with my pops to get my tooth fixed (he’s one of the people who told me about how great the dentists down there are). This is fairly ironic because about 4 months ago he was complaining about his teeth hurting and how all the dentists out here want to charge a fortune to even look at them. I had an employer at the time that had just gone down to Mexico and had one of her front teeth filled after she had knocked it out. She told me that she was in the office for 1 hour and the new tooth cost her all of $ 40. After just hearing this great news from my boss I demanded my father go down to Mexico and get his mouth done down there. (Of course I wouldn't take my own advice until several months later).
My dad knows his way around Tijuana pretty well. I don't ask how or why. I can't imagine having to have gone down there by myself to try to find a place. That town is pretty intimidating as far as the driving situation. My pops took me to the Dentist office to which he has been going since I made him go. I was in and out of the office in 1 hour, total cost $30. The dentist was really nice, spoke perfect English, took American dollars...it was pretty much a perfect trip. Oh yes I forgot to mention, the dentist put in a Porcelain filling....it matches my real teeth...the dentists I went to in the states always filled my filling with that ugly metal junk.
So I made out pretty well on this trip. I think I might be going down to Mexico a lot more often.

No comments: